[Foundation-l] It is high time we decided upon global Wikimedianprinciples

Ting Chen Wing.Philopp at gmx.de
Mon Aug 4 18:03:38 UTC 2008

> Again, and I really can't stress this enough: These "fundamental
> rules" are not global! en.wikinews DOES NOT USE THE GFDL. It uses
> CC-BY instead, which is still free but isn't the same thing.
> en.wikiversity, en.wikisource, and en.wikiquote have very different
> meanings for NPOV then en.wikiversity does. Do yourself a favor and
> check out WV's policy page on the matter:
>
> http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WV:NPOV

Thank you very much for pointing out that. I didn't know that, but now I do, thus thank you again.

On the matter though, I don't see my statement wrong. All the projects you mentioned work on the same value like Wikipedia, despite having a different policy. en.wikinews doesn't use GFDL, but CC-BY, and it doesn't violate the value of free content. wikisource, wikiquote, commons and wikiversity have other definition about NPOV, because of the nature of the projects. The disclosure of bias on Wikiversity for example doesn't really works agains NPOV. It allows bias of view, but tells the user that here is a bias of view, and in the matter it shares the same value as the NPOV of wikipedia.

Your examples are very good examples against globally imposed rules.

Ting