[Foundation-l] It is high time we decided upon global Wikimedianprinciples

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 17:27:37 UTC 2008

I am divided about your email.

First, I think it should not be posted on Foundation-l. Foundation-l is
the list of the Foundation, and should deal with Foundation topics. I
believe the values (principles) related to Foundation have already been led.

1) in the mission statement :http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mission
2) in the value statement: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Values

Either your email is about Wikipedia itself, and then, it should go to
wikipedia-l

or, it is about all projects, in which case it should go to the meta list

----------

Second, I do agree with you clarity of "pillar" principles is necessary.

Imho, clarity of the pillars of Wikipedia is already achieved.
Essentially, it is
* Wikipedia is an encyclopedia
* NPOV
* openness
* civility
* sources necessary / no original work
* free licence
* ignore all rules (except for the pillar rules)

If some projects ignore these pillar rules, they should be better
informed. That's only a *communication* issue

However, the pillar principles of other projects (eg, Wikinews,
Wikibooks etc...) do not seem to be clearly agreed, and sometimes differ
between linguistic versions. That's unfortunate, and I agree more
discussion is necessary. I remember that's a point I pushed in the past
as well (but I fear with not much impact :-))

Third, I STRONGLY support the fact that all linguistic versions should
be left free of deciding the path they use to reach the global goal, as
long as they respect the pillar values. Polls (use or not) is not a
pillar value; as such, each community should be free to decide to use it
or not. At best, what we can help with is to favor sharing of
experiences and of best practices.

Ant