[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - some thoughts after a discussion on Wikimania

Ting Chen Wing.Philopp at gmx.de
Mon Aug 4 15:22:04 UTC 2008

I took part on this session on the WikiMania in Alexandria. As far as I can remember, there were still a lot of very fundamental things that was unclear. Some of these fundamental questions were far from in a state of consensus. I remember that the discussion broke up because we ran out of time.

The following are some of these fundamental questions that I don't think the session had got a consensus answer:

1) What is the purpose of such a council? What should it do? What can it improve? What is its duty? As far as I remember there were various ideals and oppinions on what it means "to represent the community".
2) How should such a council be created? One idea was that this is a council with every project elect one representative on it. But there were also other ideas.

I think that before these questions are really answered and agreed a further move is difficult. And I am not sure if even all people who took part of the session read this mailing list ...

Ting

-------- Original-Nachricht --------