[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - some thoughts after a discussionon Wikimania

mike.lifeguard mike.lifeguard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 23:53:02 UTC 2008

>Besides that, it was also agreed that it would not be workable to let
>a small committee (council) do everything we would like it to do. It
>is unlikely that a small group of people can maintain contact with a
>large number of communities, and solve all the issues which might
>require more specialized and dedicated working groups. It was
>suggested to come up with several councils for all these tasks, but
>after a while it was more or less widely agreed upon that it would
>probably be most workable to have one council, which would appoint
>working groups or committees (temporary or continuous) to take care of
>specific issues.

I can certainly agree strongly with this. There are lots of ideas about what
this body should/would/could do, but I don't believe we can devise a single
body to perform such a varied and burdensome set of tasks. Having a body to
create councils for specific issues seems like a very reasonable method of
solving this issue. Creation of such sub-councils would scale reasonably
well, and would be able to make good use of expertise in particular areas.

I look forward to other comments on this issue in particular.

Mike.lifeguard