[Foundation-l] Copies of Wikipedia's articles found on Knol

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Aug 1 01:44:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Tracy Poff <tracy.poff at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is the position of Creative Commons, as I understand it, that if I
> use a work which is licensed to me under the CC-BY license, I can then
> license my derivative work to others under CC-BY-SA, CC-BY-NC, GFDL,
> or any other license I choose that will preserve attribution of the
> author of the original work

Well, playing devil's advocate for a moment, I could see one potential
problem with adding CC-BY text into an already existing GFDL work...
If CC-BY imposes *any* requirements not required by the GFDL, then you
might have trouble with the "add no other conditions whatsoever to
those of this License" part.

I don't know of any such requirements, but I'm not willing to say it's
impossible to find any.

In an unrelated comment, some people were wondering *why* Google is
giving such limited license choices.  I don't know for sure, of
course, and I don't think they'll give a straight answer, but one
possibility is that they're worried about the implications ShareAlike
licenses would have on embedded ads.