[Foundation-l] Copies of Wikipedia's articles found on Knol

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 1 00:39:20 UTC 2008

Massimiliano writes:

>> How could you add SA, for example, without being the original
>> licensor, for importing to Wikipedia? How could you subtract it
>> without being the original licensor(s), for importing to Knol?
>
> As long as you put the author's credits, respecting in this way the
> request of attribution, you can change the license for your derivative
> works and this includes also adding a SA clause. At least this is what
> I have ever believed.

Sure, a sufficiently transformative derivative work might give you the
ability to create a new license with strong copyleft. But that's not
what we've been seeing on Knol or what we've been discussing here, it
seems to me. Instead, we've been talking about importing and exporting
whole articles.

--Mike