[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Apr 29 09:31:10 UTC 2008

Brianna Laugher wrote:
> 2008/4/29 Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd at yahoo.com>:
>
>> First, the Board sent the ball on Wikicouncil back to the Community, then the Board made community elected seats a minority.
>>
> ? It was not exactly clear that the Wikicouncil concept *as presented
> to the Board at that time* was something that was supported by "the
> Community" at large. They have expressed support for the concept, but
> not that particular instantiation. I am sure that if they had accepted
> it there would probably be *more* outrage! (possibly directed slightly
> differently)

The Wikicouncil concept presented to the Board was never in any way an
absolutely take-it-or-leave-it final format.  There were bound to be
differences of opinion on some of the details.  Having a provisional
body would have given an opportunity to sort out the differences with
the Board and develop community credibility between now and the fall.
> Secondly seats for community members are still a majority: 5 + Jimmy.
> If a vote goes 5-5, it fails. So there is no "power bloc of
> outsiders".
> If you are really concerned that "the chapters" are going to somehow
> choose the wrong people, then why not pipe up with suggestions about
> what "the right way" would be.

I realize that the prevailing spin is that the chapter seats are
community seats, but in the absence of the chapters themselves having
worked out a viable plan the spin is based purely on speculation.
> Put it this way, throwing a hissy fit is not a good argument that the
> community should have more input. We should demonstrate we deserve
> more input by making that input reasoned and sensible.

That's the intent of the VC.
> Clearly, no one is too happy about surprises like this. Florence has
> apologised, more input from the other Board members would be nice.
Of the Board members, Florence is probably the one with the least reason
to apologize.

Ec