[Foundation-l] (Flashback) A short (and revised) FAQ about Wikimania in Alexandria

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Tue Apr 22 15:34:15 UTC 2008

Florence writes:

> However, my initial comment still stand. According to Mike, the only
> role of the Foundation is "to pay for the Conference". And that is one
> view I fully disagree with.

I didn't say that was the *only* role of the Foundation. Florence is
misremembering my words here. If I had said what Florence thinks I
said, I would fully disagree with it as well.

What I said was, suggestions about organization of the conference
should go to the conference's actual organizers, not to the
Foundation, which, as Florence correctly states, is more of a
facilitator than anything else.

And, of course, the Foundation is spending plenty of money on the
conference -- e.g., on consulting security experts, and so on.

--Mike