[Foundation-l] UNIQUE AND WORKABLE CRITERION

Jesse Martin (Pathoschild) pathoschild at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 21:33:50 UTC 2008

Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>  This leads to another important point.  It's not simply about the
>  criteria for having a wiki, but about the criteria for a specific kind
>  of wiki.  A Wikisource for a pre-literate language that has no available
>  material is pointless.  The arguments for a Wikisource in a dead but
>  literate language are much stronger.
>
>  Wiktionaries serve a different purpose, and thus merit different criteria.

The current policy does recognize differences between projects; for
example, new Wikisources are allowed in languages with no native
speakers, if the content doesn't belong on a modern-language wiki (ie,
Old English is welcome on the English Wikisource). The policy can
certainly be amended with other tweaks as required.

That said, there's no need to look for literature when approving a
Wikisource, because we already look at test project size and activity.
This will be minimal if there's nothing to add. Further, a Wikisource
for a language with no real literature might still prosper in
providing translations of other languages' literature.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)