[Foundation-l] Ancient Greek reconstructed an analysis of a proposal for a new Wikipedia

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 15:04:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Now, the second problem has been discussed over and over. Gerard said
>  at the beginning of this thread: "Many people maintain their positions
> and do not for whatever reason consider the arguments of others." I
>  can't help but wonder who he is referring to here? Is he referring to
>  himself? Or does he consider that unless people all agree with him,
>  they have not "considered" his argument?

You've hit the nail on the head right there with your last statement,
and it describes
quite a few people on this list, I'm afraid. Gerard, your passion for
wanting to do this
correctly is admirable, I cannot deny that. However, at times you--and
many others,
on both sides of the debate--work yourselves into a posisition where
you only seem
to see "your" solution as "the" solution. This isn't necessarily a bad
thing, but it can
cause discussions to be frustrating at times. And to everyone, please
remember that
it's OK to be wrong! It's not a battle to be won, lives aren't lost
because people disagree
with you. I think if we all remember this a little more often and are
willing to say "You're
right, we should do it your way instead of mine," we can be a little
more productive. And
nicer.

>  I considered his argument, and I disagree and think it is invalid. I
>  asked even for evidence of these made-up words... why not give me 10
>  or 20 words as proof? But I have yet to see them. I was ignored once I
>  asked for the proof. If he decides he is up to my challenge, let me
>  add a qualifier or two:

Likewise. I would like to see the same information before I can accept
that this is a
realistic concern.

Always,

Chad