[Foundation-l] List moderation enabled

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Apr 17 10:43:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:21 AM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru> wrote:
> I think it was already pointed out many times here that mailing lists are
>  the stone age technology for discussions. Virtually everything else is
>  better suited. This might be a good starting point.

It's a nonstarter.  If you absolutely don't like mailing lists no
matter what, you don't have to subscribe.  Otherwise, there are lots
of technologies that have been developed to make mailing lists quite
palatable, and in my opinion superior to other cheap (free) and easily
implemented alternatives.  Mailing lists are only stone age technology
if you're using stone age email software.  (Or, unfortunately, if one
of the mailing list participants is using especially stone-age email
software, but in those rare cases that participant can be moderated
rather than everyone, and in practice peer pressure is generally
enough to get them to stop.)