[Foundation-l] Ancient Greek Wikipedia, possible reconsideration

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 18:22:10 UTC 2008

Hoi,
A code describes what something is. When you talk about Greek, we have a
Wikipedia in Greek; it is the el.wikipedia.org. We have a request for Pontic
Greek and it has been advanced to the "eligible" state; localisation is
under way currently 57.55% of the most used messages, the incubator project
is doing nicely. When you talk about "Greek" we already support two
varieties of Greek.

Ancient Greek has been extinct. If you want to have a Wikipedia, in my
opinion it needs to be clearly marked as NOT being the ancient Greek as you
would read it in a Wikisource. It clearly is not the same. According to the
definitions, it would be a reconstructed language. I had a talk with someone
from SIL, they would consider a code for reconstructed languages. The fact
that scholars do not consider the modern usage of ancient languages is for
me not that much of an issue, it is not their business really to tag
languages.

Reconstructed languages are in my opinion just another type of constructed
language. I disagree with Pathoschild strongly about his insistence on
native speakers.

Thanks,
     GerardM