[Foundation-l] Confidentiality agreement with FSF

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Apr 15 20:26:16 UTC 2008

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On 15/04/2008, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>
>> Hoi,
>>  Thomas Dalton does not want to accept that in a relation where specific
>>  people deal with other diplomatically to reach a deal, when the people
>>  involved are the ones representing their very organisations, that these
>>  people have to be able to trust each other. In his misguided ideas he
>>  assumes that he is entitled to have all the details. He does not consider
>>  the ramifications of such actions. For me it qualifies as dense. It does
>>  because it has already been stated that the point why this is necessary will
>>  be made clear when appropriate.
>>
> I accept that if the other party insists on confidentiality, then we
> have no choice. That doesn't seem to be the case here. If it was that
> important to them, they would have put it in writing.
The fact that an agreement is not in a signed paper does not make it
invalid.  If you are working with your kids to prepare a birthday gift
for your wife would you insist on a written confidentiality agreement to
prevent them from telling her before her birthday?  When everything
needs to be reduced to writing you can end up spending more time on the
text of the confidentiality agreement than on whatever is the primary
object of your negotiation.

I'm sure that Erik is well aware of the chronic querulousness of certain
Wikipedians, and their penchant for giving a higher priority to
discussion than to thought.  That alone can make a person hesitant about
sharing even information that might not be covered by confidentiality
understandings.

Ec