[Foundation-l] Future board meeting (5-7 april 08)

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 18:10:29 UTC 2008

And yet, a contract is a pledge of sorts, but its enforceability is
supported by law.  However, to gain that enforceability, the contract
must be sufficiently certain. Given that the key focus of that non-
disparagement agreement is "disparagement", it would seem critical
that disparagement be defined. And yet, it's not. It's suitably vague.
That's hurting the value of what a pledge is: a promise that something
will (or will not) happen. If that act or omission is not actually
defined (such as in this case, with disparagement being the act), then
you simply cannot make that kind of promise. On top of that, for a
promise like this to be worthwhile, it must be equitably applied to
members of the group (i.e. all members of the board, or all members of
the staff, or all of both). Picking and choosing who falls underneath
the pledge/contract diminishes its value by allowing loopholes. For
instance, suppose all the staff and board signed this agreement, and
one member (board or staff, doesn't matter) leaves disgruntled. Under
the text of that agreement, that member does not have any assurances
that an independent contractor for the foundation won't slam them
(since said people wouldn't be covered under the agreement). Given
this discrepancy, it's feasible to see a situation where this
agreement as written works far more to the benefit of the foundation
than to the benefit of an employee/trustee who leaves. And that's not
a good thing.

-Dan