[Foundation-l] Criteria for the closure of projects.

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 15:14:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Brian McNeil
<brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org> wrote:
> You don't burn a book because you don't like the number of pages it has.

Right here is the fundamental misconception: "closing" a project is a
bit of a misnomer because the content itself isn't "closed": the
content is moved to the incubator and work can continue on it as
normal. We're not talking about deleting or "burning" projects, we're
talking about moving them to a structured development area where they
will have a better chance at success, and better support from the WMF
community at large. If, at the incubator, a critical mass of
supporters emerges, the project can be reopened. Upon reopening, the
project will have much better success then it would have had
otherwise.

--Andrew Whitworth