[Foundation-l] Future board meeting (5-7 april 08)

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 10 14:20:18 UTC 2008

Well, I really don't mind waiting a couple of days to get a more detailed
report, and some questions about "what does that mean" will not be
necessary. :-)

By the way, in my opinion a treasure should be a Board member, but never a
staff member, only collaborating with the staff member who is in charge of
the daily finances.

Ziko

2008/4/10, Florence Devouard <anthere at anthere.org>:

> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
>   > On 4/10/08, Florence Devouard
>
> <Anthere9-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>   >
>   >> --->Board Membership and Employment
>   >> The board decided there would be no restrictions regarding to a board
>   >> member becoming a staff member, nor for a staff member to become a
> board
>   >> member.
>   >
>   > Hmm. Perhaps it would be best to clarify whether this means
> transferring
>   > from the board to the staff and vice versa,
>   > or whether it is intended to mean that even
>   > simultaneous board membership and staff job are possible. If the
> latter
>   > I have to say I am somewhat surprised....
>   >

> > I think the community has expressed fairly explicitly that such dual
>   > roles would mix things up. Though on the obverse side, I suppose
>   > arguably the treasurer is in some sense inextricably connected at
>   > the hip with staff in some senses.
>   >

> > Of course one way is to not make separation of roles in the
>   > bylaws, but just rely on best practises and custom to make
>   > sure that in cases where roles need not overlap, they stay
>   > in their own bailiwick.
>   >
>   > Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, ~ [[User:Cimon Avaro]]
>

> Oh, absolutely. Sorry if it was unclear. Tranfer from one to other is
> possible. Simultaneous positions as staff and board member is not okay.
>
> In our bylaws, the treasurer can be a board member OR not. It is
> probably best that it be a board member... I would very strongly advise
> against having a treasurer who is also a staff member. It strikes me as
> not a good idea if the treasurer has an oversight role.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out Cimon, and for allowing me to clarify.
>

> Ant

Ziko van Dijk
Roomberg 30
NL-7064 BN Silvolde