[Foundation-l] An argument for strong copyleft

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 21:16:34 UTC 2008

On 08/04/2008, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.yu> wrote:
> Yes, really. Perhaps I should clarify: fair use does not require that I
>  release my work under the same conditions as the work I am fairly using;

Actually it does. It requires that you release it under US law.

>  > >  > >  Second, I don't want to release my work under CC-BY because I do
>  > >  > > want enhancements to my work to be freely reusable.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > A newspaper article includeing your work may well be an enhancement.
>  > >
>  > > Actually, it would rather be the other way around (unless the article is
>  > > about my work).
>  >
>  > Define "about your work".
>

> I believe it is obvious to everyone.

Define it or withdraw it.

>  > >  > Okey so you think newspaper articles would be overkill. So what if all
>  > >  > someone does is add a caption? What if  your work is used as part of a
>  > >  > Collage? What if it is used as part of a flow chart? Where do you draw
>  > >  > the line?
>  > >
>  > > I do not draw the line.
>  >
>  > Then you cannot object to where other draw it.
>

> Yes I can. I just did.

Yes but your objections have no value.

>  > >I am aware that there are use cases that are
>  > >  inbetween. Yet most of the cases fall in two clearly separate
>  > > categories: one for which I do want the enhancement to my work to be
>  > > freely reusable, and one for which I am content with my work illustrating
>  > > an unrelated work.
>  >
>  > Meaningless since you will not define which is which.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_fallacy

Okey I acknowledge there are grey areas. I deal with grey areas all
the time. However I gave you a list of partical real world examples.
If you are unable to sort them then your position is useless.

>  > In any case the requirement to release a work under a free license is
>  > pretty minor compared to the requirement to include a full copy of the
>  > license and an interesting set of disclaimers.
>

> No, in most cases it is a much more restrictive requirement.

You cannot at this time realistically include a GFDL image in the new
scientist. You can include a copyleft article in the new scientist.

--
geni