[Foundation-l] VC - alternative resolution

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Apr 8 04:56:00 UTC 2008

Florence Devouard wrote:
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
>
>> And after they did get their sturdy, well insulated
>> log-cabin built, it might for a long time do double
>> time as a barn, with the animals staying with
>> the family in sweet harmony. A barnraising would
>> then be done only after the fields had been
>> cleared (for the duration living hand to mouth
>> foraging and fishing and so on), and a crop
>> and feedstock hay had been planted in such
>> amounts as to require more of a moreness
>> of space.
>>
>> It has however been suggested that saunas
>> had a spiritual function too for finns, so I guess
>> they built their "churches" first... Though their
>> churches were what one might call very "utilitarian".
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> There is great virtue in building flexible first,
>> then solid, and after that, enlarging - I would
>> think.
>>
> I guess the saunas were built by the Collective though. Hence having the
> same benefit of collaborative success.
>
> Nice story Cimon :-)

A lot can be learned from building priorities and habits.  In many
housing developments here the first thing built is the fences between
building lots:  2 metres high and solid so that you can't see through them.

Such an environment makes it difficult to build communities because it
discourages talking with the neighbour about evryday life events, or
sharing ideas about making flowers grow better. Poor communities do not
recognize their poverty when everyone around is equally poor.
Similarly, the powerless are not as aware of their powerlessness as when
the larger community mines its power for its own good.  So fences are
built to give the illusion of power over one's tiny personal kingdom.
Groups draft labyrinthine rules out of fear of losing power, and the
rules become their church.

Their are no real advances without risks. Sometimes a new venture will
be a dreadful flop, but more often with meaningless rather than harmful
results.

Ec