[Foundation-l] An argument for strong copyleft

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Apr 7 14:46:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
>  When Carrie buys a license for the photo and merges it with the "share
>  alike" article, she has to buy a license for the photo to be released under
>  this "share alike" article. When she fails to do this she will effectively
>  violate the rights of the photographer.

The article is not released under "share alike".  If it was, there
would be no reason to pay Bill in the first place.

>  Alternatively Carry buys a license for the photo AND acquires an appropriate
>  license to use the article from the copyright holder. This is in my opinion
>  the only correct way to do this.

Yes, please reread my scenario, that's exactly what I present.
"Andrew sells [a license on] the article to Carrie under a restrictive
license."  "Bill releases his photo under a free, strong copyleft,
license."  "Carrie can simply buy a license from Bill to use the photo
in her newspaper article."