[Foundation-l] Provisional Volunteer Council - proposal sent to the Board

FloNight sydney.poore at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 13:18:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:07 AM, effe iets anders
<effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan, all,
>
>  thanks for the feedback. First of all, let me make clear that this is
>  for me not the *final* list or something, the Board still has to
>  decide over the resolution at all, including the list of candidates.
>  After that, the PVC has the opportunity to fill some gaps, such as
>  South America, Africa, Asia and developers, to improve the spectrum of
>  volunteers.
>
>  I never claimed, and will not claim that this is a perfect
>  representation, nor that it is ideal with respect to size. This
>  because this is a matter of opinion, and people disagree on sizes etc.
>  Please note that it is much easier to increase the size afterwards
>  (especially if you believe all those emails you get all the time) then
>  to decrease. I think the current list ensures a workable provisional
>  council, that can come up with a broad carried advice. Not because
>  every language or continent is represented, but because many opinions
>  on this respect are represented. The mentioned main projects are, as
>  michael mentioned correctly, intended to show from which corner people
>  are coming. How they were "raised" in the community, so to speak.
>
>  With kind regards,
>
>  Lodewijk

If the Board decides to go ahead with the Council then more members
can be added.

In my discussions with Lodewijk and others, I stated that I feel that
one of the jobs of the Council will be seeking out the opinions of
users on Projects that have less frequent communication with the
Foundation, staff,  and other volunteers due to language issues. I
think that this is key to us making sure that the Foundation is giving
these Projects the support that they need so these Project thrive.

Sydney