[Foundation-l] Relocation announcement

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 00:44:02 UTC 2007

On 23/09/2007, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:

> I think the last part of your comment is key. The Bay Area is great for
> wealthy people like senior management; less so for other people (the
> median house costs more than US$500,000). Unless you plan to only hire
> wealthy people, or to pay very high salaries, nobody can really afford
> to live anywhere near a downtown-SF office. And I say this as someone
> temporarily living in the Bay Area (how do I afford it? tiny, temporary
> rental housing until I finish up my PhD and move somewhere more
> affordable). It's also extremely expensive for visitors; any savings in
> flights for SFO versus Florida will be swamped by the massively more
> expensive hotels.

Isn't this going to be a problem in any major city? It's certainly not
unique to SF... heck, the average house price *here* is more than
$500,000* and this isn't a world-leading hub city by any standards.

A lot of these problems really are effects of moving out of Florida,
not of where specifically we're moving to.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk

* Just. I wish I hadn't looked that figure up, now...