[Foundation-l] Release of squid log data

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Sep 20 17:09:27 UTC 2007

On 9/20/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20/09/2007, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> > SlimVirgin wrote:

> > > Yes, it works only if you click on the link. But the links are
> > > disguised to look like something else -- a Wikipedia page, for
> > > example.
> > Bank swindles do a lot of that too.  I have no problem with removing
> > deceptive links that go somewhere different from where they purport to go.
> >
> > To some extent people also need to practise a little safety of their
> > own, as with not accepting all cookies.
>
> I'm all for safe web surfing, but that doesn't include not clicking on
> links. Not entering your bank account details afterwards, sure, but
> clicking on the link is usually pretty safe.

So what's your solution?

I say if you don't want anyone to find out your IP address, use Tor,
that's what it was built for.  Then if you accidentally click on a
link and wind up at an attack site, that site's administrator has no
way to figure out your IP.

That only solves the problem of leaking your IP address, of course.
The larger problem of being pseudonymous is essentially unsolved.
With enough effort just about any pseudonym can be cracked.