[Foundation-l] Release of squid log data

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Sat Sep 15 19:59:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> Even while keeping the pedantic "Every bit of data reduces privacy and
> anonymity" in mind, there are many types of data extract which pose an
> exposure level so low that we can fairly classify it as none when
> speaking English rather than pedantese:
>
> For example, no one sane is going to claim that releasing the daily
> viewership rates for existent articles with some quantization is going
> to cause an measurable impact to anyone's privacy or anonymity.

Fair enough.  Also, I would find it useful to have a "please share my data
with others" option for those who would like data related to their use of
the site to be available to researchers and others.  There are some
interesting questions which can be answered approximately by looking at
full data from a dozen non-randomly selected active editors, and I imagine
that there are at least that many regulars who wouldn't mind sharing their
usage patterns.

[for instance, the kind of daily and monthly edit cycles that you used to
be able to see from the edit-count tool for everyone, and that can still
be gathered from publicly available data...]

SJ