[Foundation-l] Board size

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 05:34:50 UTC 2007

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Having someone with financial skill and understanding is important, but
> it should not be necessary for that person to be the one preparing
> regular financial statements.  The relationship between the treasurer
> and the Chief Financial Officer should have a parallel to the
> relationship between the president and the Chief Executive Officer.  The
> same conflict problems can arise when the treasurer muddles his duties
> as a Board member, and those which he has as a staff member.  By the
> same token the treasurer need not be the one who does the fundraising.
>
> Ec

Oh absolutely. And we'll make clear in the "job description" that the
treasurer will not take care of the books himself, but rather have an
oversight role. Books are currently handled by Oleta. And Mona acts as a
financial officer (she is officially financial consultant right now). We
don't want a bookkeeper - but someone with a strong financial foundation
who can think strategically, and provide advice and recommendations to
the rest of the Board and Chief Executive.

Ant