[Foundation-l] Let's switch to CC-BY-SA

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 14:29:51 UTC 2007

2007/9/11, teun spaans <teun.spaans at gmail.com>:

> All this is just al illustration of my opinion that the GFDL is a highly
> impractical license, and that we would do well to accept other licenses
> instead of or alongside GFDL.

As just to show how impractical - there are 14 requirements for
modified versions, of those 14:
* A is broken by Wikipedia (no different title is given)
* B is broken (author of the new version and authors of the previous
version are not given on what should reasonably be considered the
title page)
* C is broken (wikipedia is mentioned on the 'title page', but not
being a formal entity can't be the publisher, that is, I guess, the
WMF)
* D is trivially adhered to (there are no copyright notices on
Wikipedia pages, so they are indeed kept)
* E is broken (the copyright notice as required by the GFDL is not shown)
* F is broken only in a trivial way (the permission is shown, but not
after the copyright notices, since they aren't shown)
* G is trivially kept (there are no invariant sections and cover
texts, so they are kept as far as they exist)
* H is possibly adhered to (the issue is whether having a link is
sufficient to consider the GFDL is 'included')
* I is broken (our history does not include the title or the publisher
of the modified version)
* J is kept (the history gives links to a network location of a
transparent copy)
* K is trivially kept (there are no acknowledgements or dedications,
so keeping them is trivial)
* L is trivially kept (there are no invariant sections)
* M is trivially kept (there is no section 'endorsements')
* N is (usually) kept
* O is trivially kept (there are no warranty disclaimers)

Of 15 requirements, I count 3 adhered to, 5 broken and 8 trivially
adhered to. If we're so bad at keeping to the GFDL ourselves, we
surely are putting undue pressure on others by forcing them to adhere
to it.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels