[Foundation-l] Let's switch to CC-BY-SA

Axel Boldt axelboldt at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 23:33:28 UTC 2007

--- Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> as we do not have to resort to a legally risky move

I guess that's what it boils down to: how legally risky is my
proposition? Granted that I don't have any experience in these matters;
I just find it hard to believe that a person could
  1) prove that they own the copyright to some Wikipedia content
  2) convince a jury that they never heard about the opt-out offer
  3) claim that the license change caused damages larger than their
legal costs.

If such whimsical lawsuits are indeed a possibility, then the danger of
action should be weighed against the danger of inaction: right now, any
past contributor could sue for violating GFDL 4.A, failing to change an
article's title after modification. I just don't see how suits like
that are viable.

--Axel