[Foundation-l] Software Policy Draft

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 5 02:02:02 UTC 2007

On 9/4/07, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:
> As such, I would say that one of our principles should also make sure
> that ease of use for all platforms is one of our strong points.

I agree. The principles are worded so that they do _not_ preclude us
from allowing clients to use some proprietary software e.g. for
playing videos. But installing such software should never be a
requirement for using Wikimedia content. This is why the principles
speak of _dependencies_.

As Kat said in the discussion about Flash video, there's a very
reasonable argument that one can have about whether or not to offer
some content _also_ in proprietary formats / containers for usability
reasons, and I don't want to preempt this discussion in any way.

I am fine, however, with adding a statement about usability to the
principles (and while we're at it, we should throw in accessibility);
since those who argue against Flash as an _additional_ container also
say that Ogg Theora can be equally user-friendly, this, too, should
not affect the debate significantly.

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik