[Foundation-l] Software Policy Draft

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 10:16:21 UTC 2007

Hoi,
There are many languages that are problematic including Khmer, Cherokee and
Burmese. Also the question what languages do we have projects in is wrong.
The issue is that we should be able to support all languages. When a
language is not supported in Unicode, it becomes a different issue because
MediaWiki only supports languages that are supported in.

Also specifying it as any free font has its pitfalls. There should be fonts
for all the big operating systems. When we want to adopt a policy like the
one that is being discussed, we should actively support our users. Currently
we do not inform our users how and where to find the fonts they need to see
all of our content. In the articles about languages it is often said that
you may not be able to see all the content .. go away and look for a font.

When you want to have a strict policy about Free and unencumbered software,
you have to accept the consequences and enable people to use Free and
unencumbered software. This does include fonts.

Thanks,
     Gerard<