[Foundation-l] Priorities

Jon Harald Søby jhsoby at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 15:05:08 UTC 2007

2007/10/23, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>:

> On 10/23/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Success is relative. The English language Wikipedia will not aid the
> > survival of the English language. Consider that the Bangla Wikipedia is
> the
>
> The purpose of Wikimedia is not "TO SAVE DYING LANGUAGES"
>
> If we happen to do so in our effort to help educate the world, fine.
> But preserving languages should never come at the expense of bringing
> education to people who need it.

Languages die because there is no education available in those languages.
Think about that for a second, and you see that a side-effect of Wikimedia's
goal of bringing free content to all the people in the world in their own
language, is actually saving languages.

--
Jon Harald Søby
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by