[Foundation-l] Priorities

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 14:19:46 UTC 2007

--- Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > snip

> on 10/22/07 1:50 PM, Birgitte SB at
> birgitte_sb at yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > This is an en.WP issue (again). Articles on
> web-comics
> > have been deleted as not notable on en.WP. [1]  It
> > might be useful to share with Howard what the
> actual
> > mission of Wiki*media* is and how it works, just
> for
> > the sake of clarity.  But I can't imagine anyone
> would
> > really support WMF writing and enforcing new
> deletion
> > guidelines for en.WP or anything else that would
> truly
> > appease him.
> >
> Brigitte,
>
> This is the key to his message:
>
> "If the foundation really cared about what these
> editors write, and how they
> treat other people, it would take steps to curb
> their behavior."
>
> The web-comics issue must, of course, be presented
> to. But, to focus only on
> the web-comics issue is like extinguishing a single
> tree in the middle of a
> forest fire.
>
> The issue with Wikipedia is the deteriorating
> culture, and the equally
> deteriorating language of that culture! And anyone
> who stands by and allows
> it to happen - and to continue - is equally
> culpable. Cultural change
> happens only when the people who are a part of that
> culture change. And a
> culture is a reflection of everyone who is a part of
> it.
>
> Marc Riddell

This is why I suggested clarifying how the whole
system works to him.  How each wiki is self-governing
and the core principles that WMF insists all the wiki
follow.  I doubt it will change his mind about helping
but it would be good to clarify that the culture of
en.WP is not the culture of Wikimedia.  The truth very
well might be that ja.WP is more accepting of articles
on webcomics and de.WP even less than en.WP.   The
culture of Wikimedia is the culture of letting these
communities grow and each try their own methods.  And
to allow everyone to communicate and learn from each
others methods.  There is not cultural change needed
in this.

En.WP does have a problematic culture, but there is
little in this issue that conflicts with core
principles of Wikimedia.  I don't see what WMF can do
to help en.WP grow up.  What do you see WMF doing
about this issue?

Birgitte SB