[Foundation-l] Priorities

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Mon Oct 22 15:31:56 UTC 2007

Florence Devouard wrote:

>... I felt I could not say publicly that Wikipedia was one
>of the tools to bring peace on Earth because I also know working on our
>projects (not only Wikipedia) is somehow becoming increasingly
>difficult. We are more numerous, more protective to our
>featured-content, less welcoming to our newbies (for technical or social
>reasons).
>How many experts have been driven away by the agressivity of some of our
>members ? How many new editors just were discouraged by the difficulty
>of editing a table or a template ? How many newbies were blocked because
>they just did not understood quickly enough how to use a talk page ?
>Also, during the year, several cases of online or offline harassment of
>contributors were reported. Harassement which came as a result of their
>contributions to our projects.

In trying to do my bit for fundraising I emailed Howard Tayler, a webcomic
artist asking could he help with my nonexistent drawing skills and make up
an ad for his site that I'd pay for during part of the WMF fundraiser.

As an indication that there is indisputably a problem that needs addressed,
here is the response I got.

I use Wikipedia from time to time, and appreciate its value to the growing
internet community, and to the world at large.

I will not, however, help them raise money. I am strongly opposed to the
"anti-webcomics" agenda that has been espoused by a number of prominent
editors. If the foundation really cared about what these editors write, and
how they treat other people, it would take steps to curb their behavior.

This, unfortunately, is a very non-negotiable position on my part, and I'd
prefer to not argue about it. We'd just be wasting each others' time.

I appreciate your attempt to raise money for a cause you believe in, and am
flattered that you'd think of me in connection to it.

--Howard

This issue isn't just costing us contributors; we're losing goodwill and
fundraising opportunities.

Brian.