[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Oct 12 14:33:23 UTC 2007

On 10/12/07, rfrangi at libero.it <rfrangi at libero.it> wrote:

> > > After reading this incredible thread, I vould like to put a "citation needed" tag on the above sentence.
> > >
> > > Please show proof that LGBT are arrested and expelled on arrival in Egypt. Or that their application for a visa are automatically discarded.
> >
> > I'm at work. Rapid search on google gives me these:
> > http://www.hrw.org/press/2003/02/egypt022003.htm
> > http://hrw.org/english/docs/2003/10/07/egypt6432.htm
> > http://www.sodomylaws.org/world/egypt/egnews85.htm
> > http://www.planetout.com/pno/news/article.html?date=2003/09/24/2
> >
> > In two minutes of search. I've not even read the full articles, for now.
> > But what if I've searched enough time?
> > You can say: "ehy, they were local". It doesn't seem so different, for me.
> > It's not that different.
> >

> Horray! Some links in the end. I know it takes just two minutes, but the burden of proof is on you, not on me. Still those links you provided are no proof that entrance in Egypt is forbidden to LGBT people.

Also, from what I read these links were all about G people, nothing
about L's, B's, or T's.

In any case, while Egypt's actions should certainly be condemned, I
don't see how they pose an actual threat to a visitor who stays off
the gay personals sites during their visit.

I also can't help but notice how similar this case is to that of Mark
Foley here in the US, who was arrested (I guess the police will call
it "detained") and charged with a crime for allegedly soliciting gay
sex.  Yeah, he was only arrested (I guess the police will call it
"detained") for an hour or so compared with many years, but it's still
something which should be condemned.