[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Oct 10 19:53:07 UTC 2007

> Anthony wrote:
> > What's the goal of Wikimania? Depending on the answer to that, a
> > location away from the larger user clusters might even be seen as a
> > good thing.
> >
> It's an opportunity to see the human side of the ogres that you meet on
> line.  It cements relationships among active people.  It can draw
> significant people to a world event when they might not otherwise
> attend.  It gives global exposure to otherwise local ideas.  It's good
> publicity about our world-wide scope.
>
> You really should try to attend one.

Unless it's held within Florida (and close enough that I don't have to
take any time off work), I can think of way too many other things I'd
rather do with my money and vacation time.  Maybe if I can one day
justify it as part of my business, or if I'm one day rich enough to
have gobbles of free time, but otherwise, not happening.

> >> Honestly, if we fork the conference with a US version (and potentially
> >> an offset European version) there is a substantial risk that the
> >> popularity of these events will endanger the success of Wikimania
> >> proper.
> >>
> > As long as "Wikimania proper" gets first dibs on the speakers, and is
> > the one that the board attends, I don't see that happening.
> I don't see that there needs to be a fork at all.  Wikimania would
> continue as an annual event, but there are 11 other months in the
> calendar.

True, but I think it comes down to how useful you think such global
get togethers are.  Personally I'd put them in the "fun, but not very
useful more than once a year" category.