[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Muhammad Alsebaey shipmaster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 17:17:39 UTC 2007

Hey Aude and George, thank you for voicing that opinion, it is exactly how I
feel. Another point for everyone to consider: If Wikimania was restricted to
being in USA and Western Europe, it's kind of a closed-membership club,
people from Africa, the Middle east and various other places will have a
hard time getting a visa there if they have a shot at that at all (I know
that a US visa requires that you prove beyond doubt you have ties with your
home country that will force you to come back after the conference, and that
you have a considerable amount of money in your bank account, which is
something hard to do for young people without established families.).

On 10/10/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/10/07, Aude <audevivere at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In this thread, I see people raising the issues regarding the Egyptian
> > government.  As we know, it's not a democracy and the Egyptian people
> did
> > not choose the government.  The government there is more repressive, but
> not
> > so much so (like Burma) that we can't have Wikimania there.  To penalize
> > Egyptian Wikimedians (and those from Jordan and other nearby places),
> for
> > what their government does is not cool with me.
>
> Exactly.  To penalize the Egyptian Wikipedians who put together a
> wonderful proposal seems unreasonable.
>
> These are the people we want to be supporting and encouraging.
>

> --
> -george william herbert
> george.herbert at gmail.com

Best Regards,