[Foundation-l] The Statistical Decline of the English Wikipedia

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 08:18:54 UTC 2007

No, I think the exponential growth is based on the perception of
"completeness" by editors, the number of red links and whatnot. The
decline in growth is definitely not due to the fact that anyone who
ever would have wanted to edit, has, because that is simply not true.

Mark

On 09/10/2007, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW, I see that German Wikipedia is close to the same limits, too. If
> someone make some statistics of other projects (for example, for
> projects with more then 1.000 users), I think that we would be able to
> see the same tendencies. There are only a small number of Wikipedias
> which are able to make further exponential growth in the sense of user
> activities: Arabic, Russian, Chinese, Indonesian... "Popular limit" of
> English Wikipedia is much higher then, for example, a "popular limit"
> of Serbian Wikipedia.
>
> On 10/10/07, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/9/07, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
> > > Those are great stats, thanks for your work! I'm not surprised to see a
> > > decline, personally.
> > [snip]
> >
> > Hey! In what kind of new-speak is a *daily* *increase* of 140,000
> > somethings or 2,000 somethings, or 7,000 something a *decline*?
> >
> > The headline should instead be "The rate of something is lower than
> > its all time peak!" or "First derivative of a non-exponential function
> > turns out to be flat!" ... :)
> >
> > It's the truth that the character of EnWp's growth has changed in the
> > last year. I think Milos' comments up-thread were pretty intresting.
> > ... but I think it's really misleading to look at these numbers and
> > say "decline".

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.