[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 02:34:05 UTC 2007

On 10/10/2007, cohesion <cohesion at sleepyhead.org> wrote:
> On 10/9/07, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Certainly the track record of selections is far more appealing to *me*
> > as a jetsetter than as a Wikipedian... and as long as we're still
> > looking at airfare well over $1000/person (which wouldn't be the case
> > for me traveling to canada, mexico, or much of western europe), my
> > money would be better spent contributing to other non-profits and
> > traveling to regional Wikipedian events.  (And certainly, I don't find
> > Egypt appealing, with its poor track record of intolerance and
> > mistreatment of female travelers who are foolish enough to violate
> > Islamic norms)
>
> Agreed. Is there anything stopping people from organizing an event
> somewhere that isn't so expensive?

"Expensive for me" you mean? Someone always loses out.

> It would be cool to have an actually useful conference. Since so many
> people that work on Wikipedia, Commons etc are English speaking when
> the conference is in places like Taipei and Alexandria it seems like
> it's more for fun than anything worthwhile for me, being primarily
> interested in enwiki.

"Actually useful"? I don't see how the location changes the usefulnes
of the conference...

As someone else suggested, hosting local Wikimanias is a good option.
Why not get behind Atlanta (I assume you live in the US as you agree
with Greg's comments) and organise a US Wikimania maybe a couple of
weeks before or after the official one.

regards,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/