[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 23:19:34 UTC 2007

On 10/9/07, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:

> In 1997 some 52 honor killings were reported in Egypt. The actual
> figures in all of the countries I've cited are probably much higher
> because most honor killings go unreported.

Yes, well, there were also 69 murders and 156 rapes in the city of San
Francisco alone last year [1], where the WMF is moving to soon; yet the fact
that many of these killings are racially and sexually motivated and many of
the rapes are intensely brutal has not led to calls that the WMF stay away
from the big bad city here for moral reasons. My point: having liberal [2]
western values does not directly translate into more safety for the resident
or casual visitor; I haven't seen statistics about crime for visitors in
Egypt yet.

-- phoebe

1. http://www.sfgov.org/site/police_index.asp?id=19468
2. I don't mean in the American political sense; rather, liberal freedom of
speech, of dress, of religion, of sexual orientation, etc. SF happens to be
liberal in both senses.