[Foundation-l] Google Analytics test

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 14:21:37 UTC 2007

On 10/3/07, Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org> wrote:
> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
> >In that case the bugzilla request asked for something very specific,
> >that the mediawiki counters be enabled, and the answer to that very
> >specific question will remain no.
>
> Can I ask why? I can appreciate it might not work on Wikipedia, but what
> about the smaller projects?

Its documented in the bug. All of the Wikimedia sites are setup in a
way that defeat that kind of counter.

Many of our smaller wikis get enough traffic that having the front end
cache is important. Furthermore, special casing one would also be a
huge maintenance burden and would result in lower reliability for that
site and potentially all of the sites.

While that knob is going to get turned back on, we do wish to have the
functionality of counting page views. This can be best achieved by
writing something to read the squid logs ... and that is being worked
on (and there is code in the mediawiki SVN for it).

Until then, why not use the output from WikiCharts?

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~leon/stats/wikicharts/index.php?lang=en&wiki=dewikinews&ns=alle&limit=100&month=10%2F2007&mode=view