[Foundation-l] Wikibooks and Wikijunior Logos

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 21:15:32 UTC 2007

On 11/26/07, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are officially starting the process to select new Wikibooks and
> Wikijunior logos. The pages for these are at:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikibooks/Logo
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikijunior/Logo
>
> We would like to get input from people in the foundation, as well as
> people on the Marketing Committee, so that this time the logo
> selection process goes a little more smoothly then it did last time.
> We are also trying to start a marketing blitz to attract wikibookians
> from all language projects (or as many as possible), and we are going
> to try to attract graphic artists from commons, and possibly some
> outside artists as well.
>
> Feedback would be certainly appreciated.

My general feedback, from looking at the vote pages, and from
experience of the Wikiversity logo vote would be:

* Clarify whether people are voting for a logo-as-idea or
logo-as-specific-variant-of-idea. By this I mean whether a decision
will be made on a logo and then a final decision on a colour variant
OR whether people will be voting for one variant (ie colour scheme) of
the same idea (ie graphical form) in preference over another variant.
(In the latter scenario, even having approval voting doesn't always
ensure that people will vote for each and every variant they would be
happy with - not sure how to deal with this, except to move towards
something like the former. There might then have to be a further and
final round to decide a specific colour variant.)

* Clarify what the Wikimedia colours (or colour ranges) are that are
forbidden. (Also, perhaps it would be good to have some documentation
justifying this - I don't think the marketing committee - or board -
have a formalised policy on this, but I could be wrong.)

That's pretty much all I can think of for now - all the best with
finding a cool logo!

Cormac