[Foundation-l] GFDL and relicensing

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 13:49:38 UTC 2007

> On 22/11/2007, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It's that last sentence which concerns me. There is a difference
> > between something being illegal, and it getting you sent to jail or
> > sued. I, for one, am not comfortable with relying on people's apathy
> > to get away with breaking the law, however safe it may be.
>

> Your assertion here that invoking the "or later" clause is breaking
> the law is ridiculous.

Define "the law". It seems to be a fact that it would be breaking
French and German law. Has it been tested in a US court? How does
French and German law effect Wikipedia? For example, would French and
Germans no longer be able to reuse Wikipedia content? The fact that
Mike is suggesting we would need to give people the option of opting
out implies there is a legal issue involved in invoking the clause.