[Foundation-l] Moldovan Wikipedia

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 21:11:03 UTC 2007

Au contraire mon ami. The potential audience you cite - Transnistrians
- does not have the best internet infrastructure. Even Moldova proper
is not that well connected - see how few votes came from actual
Moldovans? I can almost guarantee that no Transnistrians voted. I
think that in this case your argument about African wikis must be
extended... After all Moldova has often been called the Africa of
Europe due to poor infrastructure and quality of life, the worst in
Europe, and Transnistria isn't exactly better.

Mark

On 10/11/2007, Johannes Rohr <jorohr at gmail.com> wrote:
> GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>
> writes:
>
> > Hoi,
> > Were there any Transnistrians that voted ?
>
> Without Checkuser access I have no way of determining, where the votes
> came from. There may have been votes from native speakers in
> Transnistria (which would mean that they also reject this wikipedia
> edition) or they may have been none, which would indicate that they
> are indifferent towards it. Either case would indicate that this Wiki
> is not met by any consumer demand.
>
> [...]
>
> > When you do not insist on native speakers, you can not use it as an
> > argument for Moldovan either.
>
> I do not have a definitive opinion on that matter, and this is really
> none of my business. I don't think, generalising on what seems to me a
> pretty unique situation makes an awful lot of sense. Here, this issue
> is not that there are not enough potential native
> contributors/readers. The potential audience exists, but it appears to
> /reject/ this wiki decisively. You simply cannot equate that to the
> Kanuri, Venda, Inuktitut or Herero Wiki, languages, which have very
> small online communities if at all.
>
> [...]
>
> Ciao,
>
> Johannes
>
> --
> http://www.infoe.de/

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.