[Foundation-l] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Greenspan illustration project

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Nov 3 16:13:18 UTC 2007

On 11/3/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think there should be any great issue with paying US residents
> - yes, there may be forms to fill in, but it's all standard stuff and
> the WMF will have people that know this kind of stuff. It's non-US
> residents that could cause problems with having to worry about the
> rules of different jurisdictions.

To what extent does the WMF have to even worry about the rules of
different jurisdictions?  They've gotta worry about Florida law, and
US law, and soon I guess they'll have to worry about California law
(which is especially onerous compared to Florida law when it comes to
this sort of thing).  But I would think the rest is up to the payee to
worry about.

> I honestly don't know how it works.
> It may well be that it's just the person getting paid that has to
> worry about it (they will almost certainly have to do something), and
> the WMF just has to hand over the money, but it could easily be much
> more complicated. I have no idea, but someone who does know will need
> to be consulted before this goes ahead (of course, they may well have
> been already).

In any case it sounds like something fun and educational to try.  And
in the spirit of spreading human knowledge, I hope someone documents
and shares what was learned with all of us.  I also wonder if all the
overhead costs (determining the law, complying with the law,
transferring the money) will be taken out of the $20K or not.