[Foundation-l] Wikikids

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu May 31 10:30:07 UTC 2007

Hoi,
This notion of "developer hell" is absolutely not that relevant. Only when
you have a need of specific functionality for your project, you will find
that there is this developer hell because things do not get developed and
even when they are it does not mean that they lead to inclusion in the
MediaWiki software.

When you have, like Wikikids does, have an organisation like Kennisnet
supporting a project, then there is no such thing like developer hell.
Kennisnet provides the projects it supports with one of the best people that
can help you start a new project. When there is a need for trying out
things, not only storange and bandwith are part of the deal but a really
knowledgeable support as well.

This is really the gold standard for how this should be done. When you
compare it with how new Wikipedia projects are to be started, you will find
that many projects fail because of lack of interest and because of a lack of
support. With the new policy for new languages, we try to get to a point
where there is sufficient activity before a project gets out of the
incubator. In this way we hope that a project will survive.

At this stage the WMF can only deal with the most extreme requirements for
our projects. We do not have the money and the people to really support
languages and projects in a sustained way. There is money and interest
available from organisations that are interested in supporting a WIKIPEDIA
(warts and all) for specific languages. At this moment it seems that the WMF
does not have the resources to even entertain these notions.

An other point, there are many wikis that do extremely well, OpenWetWare is
one Wikieducator is another. They provide a service, they develop new and
added functionality based on MediaWiki .. There are plenty more examples
that prove that you can create your own Wiki and be really special in the
field that you make your own.

Thanks,
     GerardM