[Foundation-l] Wikikids

Mathias Damour mathias.damour at laposte.net
Wed May 30 11:44:32 UTC 2007

Hi,

Robert Horning a écrit :

> There is a certain bureaucratic process that goes into
> establishing a sister project, and I'm beginning to see a bit of wisdom
> to that process as well.  I should note that 95% (I think it is actually
> worse than this) of all new project ideas are shot down or left in a
> sort of "development hell" (to borrow a term from the motion picture
> industry) where a couple of ideas keep recurring, but don't seem to take
> off for some reason or another.  A children's oriented encyclopedia
> happens to be one of those recurring ideas, I should point out, and you
> nor those you are working with are the first to come up with this idea.
> I don't think you will be the last to bring it up in this forum either.

> (...) I'm still not entirely sure what it is that you
> would like to see happen ultimately with this project proposal of yours
> if everything went exactly as you would like it to happen.

Well I wonder what *you* would like to happen for this idea and if you would really like to develop further. I hope you don't want this project to be left in a "sort of development hell" for years ! Anyway we are not in a "development hell" right now.
Let's anserw to this question "In the best of the cases" I would like that this to happen:
- The WMF would approve the project
- the main features of Vikidia which are very closed, not to say the same, as those of WikiKids.nl would be kept,
- I would give the fr.vikidia wiki and the domain name if needed,
- I would be "paid", let's say, a scholarship for Wikimania,
- children encyclopedia could be launched in other languages.

If the anserw is no, we would continue like now, and propably nevertheless try to simulate or help other Vikidia-type encyclopedia in other languages, and let them be coordinated, but we won't use this mailing-list for that.

Gerard Dummer a écrit :

> This becomes a bit confusing for me. I only posted on this list because Matthias pointed out the discussion that was going on this list. I do not at this moment see any reason to become an Wikimedia sister project. I don't even know what that means. What are the advantages? This also isn't really a project proposal.
> WikiKids isn't an project in the "development hell". It is up and running. Maybe this was the wrong place to post a message. Again, I only posted here to explain what WikiKids is. There already is a small community around WikiKids in the Netherlands. And it's growing. Also with people from Belgium (Flanders).

I'm sorry if you have felt critical comments because of me, and thank you for your explanation about Wikikids.nl.

Mathias Damour