[Foundation-l] [announcement] new staff member in business development

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun May 20 20:10:45 UTC 2007

Alison Wheeler wrote:

>On Sun, May 20, 2007 13:26, Robert Leverington wrote:
>

>>Please Anthony, stop being a troll. You are being completely ignorant and
>>rude.
>>

>Seconded.
>

>>On 20/05/07, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>>

>>>Leasing servers instead of purchasing
>>>them is one factor which should help a great deal.
>>>

>Leasing equipment is what you do when you need the option to be able to
>cancel it should trading conditions turn against you and you no longer
>need the equipment (which is not the case with WMF - we *know* that our
>usage will continue to increase not decrease) -or- you want to be able to
>mark down the lease / interest payments against your tax liability, again
>which does not apply to WMF.

Yes and no.  Leasing companies like to bind their clients for the life
of the contract whether or not you need the equipment.  Having an option
to cancel on short notice (30 days or less) will likely imply higher
monthly payments.  ... but then I don't like leasing in either event.

>As Robert got to saying first, please be constructive and don't troll.

Anthony has raised some points that absolutely need to be discussed, but
which unfortunately involve themes that are familiar to only a very few
people.  I regret the accusatory tone which sometimes creeps into his
comments, but I believe that his analyses are important even if
personally I often disagree with them.

Ec