[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Citizendium-l] Shop online, support Citizendium

Robert Leverington lcarsdata at googlemail.com
Tue May 15 15:10:20 UTC 2007

If HTML was allowed on the booksources page this would be fairly easy
to implement. The Amazon affiliates code accepts ISBNs and I once
modified the book source page on a wiki I run to use Amazon
Affiliates. I believe that, while this is an unproven revenue
resource, it would be good to trial it as Wikipedia has grown much in
traffic and it would not cause much of a bother if it was carefully
integrated with the current booksources page.

On 15/05/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 5/15/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So why are we leaving this money on the table again?
>
> I think the current ISBN search interface is unlikely to ever generate
> significant revenue. I had to edit my Monobook.js to even make
> Amazon.com the default redirect (which I do because of the reviews,
> not the purchasing option).
>
> But a nice AJAX interface that, among other things, makes it trivial
> to purchase books (or see reviews) from your preferred seller with a
> single click could be worth building, as soon as we have the developer
> resources to devote to it. With some clever UI design, users would be
> able to change their settings easily, and the defaults could be based
> on the most common preferences. Why AJAX? Because not all ISBNs are
> valid, and it may be necessary to perform an on-the-fly database
> lookup.
>
> Generally speaking, affiliate programs that are
> - connected to _useful_ features
> - not exclusive
> - not specific to a single product, website or service
> - made transparent to the reader
> - with reader preferences defining visibility
>
> seem like a reasonable source of funds.
> --
> Peace & Love,
> Erik
>
> DISCLAIMER: This message does not represent an official position of
> the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.
>
> "An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
> free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic

Robert[hl] [[User:Lcarsdata]]
http://roberthl.wikitest.co.uk/