[Foundation-l] Encyclopedia of Life

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu May 10 02:33:59 UTC 2007

An exchange of materials would be lovely.

I saw Prof. Wilson a few days ago, and the E of L came up. He was a
tremdnous fan of the idea of giving amateur biologists and species
enthusiasts a way to contribute, as one might expect.

Is there any thought yet of official coordination with wikispecies,
or having some active wikispeciesists as representatives of enthusiastic
digital biologists?

SJ

On Wed, 9 May 2007, teun spaans wrote:

> Nice to see they are prospering.
>
> I read about this project about 1-1/2 a year ago. As initiator of the ToL
> project on commons, I played with the thought about contacting dr. Wilson.
> Our aims are along the same track. There might be a base for exchanging
> stuff.
>
> teun spaans
>
> On 5/9/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.eol.org/home.html
>>
>> "Imagine an electronic page for each species of organism on Earth,
>> available everywhere by single access on command. " --E.O. Wilson
>>
>> They have an amazing number of sponsors, partner organisations, FUNDS,
>> etc...
>>
>> Want to be mega-impressed? Check out one of their demo pages:
>> http://www.eol.org/vision/rice_expert.html (although they list
>> Wikipedia as one of the sources, which is, um...)
>>
>> Now that's a killer interface.

i>> They don't have a statement about what the license will be, but they
say