[Foundation-l] Fwd: [cc-licenses] The FSF On FDL Derivatives

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed May 9 14:24:39 UTC 2007

> On 5/9/07, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Going forward we should continue to strong encourage Wikimedians who
> > release illustrations under by-sa to dual license under the GFDL.
> > This has been a long standing recommendation on commons and it is
> > already widely followed. For a long time it was the *only* accepted
> > practice on enwiki, but someone 'simpilfied' the upload page and
> > removed some important legal text.    Contributors lose nothing by
> > doing this.
> >

> That is trivially fixable by removing
>
> self|cc-by-sa-2.5|Own work, share alike, attribution required (CC-BY-SA-2.5)
>
> From [[MediaWiki:Licenses]] on commons.
>
> En is slightly more complicated but could be done through some basic shuffling

Yes... This is *especially* possible now that we have a separate
upload page for self-made images on commons.

As far as Enwiki, if we created a self-made split like commons has we
could do this. We could just switch to using some of the older
uploadtext text, such as:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Uploadtext&oldid=29609034

But people would still pick the wrong license selector option. ;)

But again, I don't think we need to panic on this. It's not news to
(most of) us, and we weren't panicked before.