[Foundation-l] Rethinking brands

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Wed May 9 11:35:57 UTC 2007

Hello,

Alison Wheeler a écrit :
> On Wed, May 9, 2007 11:07, Sebastian Moleski wrote:
>> Short quiz for all the Americans on this list: what do Bounty, Dawn,
>> Pringles, Duracell and Lacoste have in common? If you think those are
>> all strong brand names, then you're right. But how many would know
>> that they all belong to the same company (Procter & Gamble)? I would
>> venture a guess that not too many do. Or at
>> least, to most people, it really doesn't matter. They don't buy the
>> products because P&G makes them. <snip>
>
> But I believe that is the problem we currently have! That list of brands
> don't market to the same target audiences, and they demonstrate few
> synergies between them so thay have no need to target similar markets
> directly, however eachof our 'products' *do* target the same people, and
> that means (imho) that we do need a much clearer "umbrella" to be visible
> 'out there'.

What make you think that "each of our 'products' target the same
people"? I think that we are going the wrong way here. And this proposal
confuses a search for readers with a search for contributors.

Each of our 'products' has a specific audience, and people looking for
textbooks or pictures do not necessarly look for encyclopedia content,
and vice versa. People willing to share their pictures or to publish
existing texts do not have the same objective as those willing to write
an encyclopedia. I think we need to do the exact opposite: differentiate
more each of our projects, so that each gets its specific audience.

Beside, we should not think in terms of commercial products for our
projects. We have no deadline, no profits to make, no balance to adjust.
Why do people come to our projects? Not because we have a big brand, not
because they see an ad. They come because our content is free as a beer
and free as a speech. Rather than a brand, that the message we need to
spread out: Wikimedia is the greatest (and biggest) free project on the
planet.

Regards,

Yann

--