[Foundation-l] check user...

Sean Whitton (Xyrael) sean at silentflame.com
Sat Mar 31 20:57:44 UTC 2007

> With respect: ANYTHING AT ALL can subject a project or person to a
> lawsuit.
Concur; I think that while checkuser has perhaps more chance of this,
I do not believe that we can place an age restriction when there are
so many other things that we do with no requirement in this way that
could potentially cause damage. For example, simply being on an
arbcom, as an authoritative body, could potentially have legal
implications (I don't know if we do have any under 18s on these
committees, but I don't know of any policy against it).

> user's actions, but I also believe that any such user who has achieved
> that level of trust in a particular project is going to have a level of
> maturity to keep from abusing the checkuser tool as well.
Definately - the level of trust required for checkuser is very similar
to that of a bureaucrat.

Also, I would point at the ability to view deleted pages by sysops, as
these contain copyvios and other nasty stuff, which could potentially
have legal issues.

--Sean/Xyrael